The holidays are just around the corner and nothing quite says Thanksgiving better than a nice orange squash!
How about starting your day off right with a nice healthy and festive smoothie? This can be enjoyed all year long of course, but it will taste even better on Thanksgiving morning!
Here’s what you will need
- 1/2 acorn squash
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 cup of ground up oats
- 1/4 cup of raisins plus 1/4 cup of water or another sweetener such dates, honey, agave, and maple syrup.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon or more of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon or more of all-spice
- protein powder
- ground up flax seeds
- replace pumpkin with squash
Here’s what to do
- Peal 1/2 the acorn squash.
- Cut into chunks.
- Place the pieces in the food processor and blend with about 1/2 cup of the water.
- Add remaining ingredients as well as the additional 1/2 cup of water and blend until creamy.
- Place the smoothie in the fridge or freezer until chilled. I found it tasted much better that way.
- Blend the raisins with the 1/4 cup of water to make a paste. Set the raisin paste aside. Grind the oatmeal into a fine powder. I do these two steps because it makes drinking from a straw more fun and easier for my little one to drink as well.
- I added more than 1 teaspoon of cinnamon because I am a addicted to the spice.
The color of the smoothie was not what I was hoping. Seeing as the raisins are brown this changed the appearance of the smoothie. I wanted orange and got a brownish color. Oh well! It still tasted delicious.