Happy Pi Day. That’s right, it’s March 14th (which is 3.14 for anyone slow on the mathematics uptake).
I can think of no better way to celebrate Pi Day than to chow down on a delicious pie.
But why stop at just one pie? For this year’s Pi Day, I thought it’d be a good idea to put together an idea for a 3.14 course meal, comprised of naught but 3.14 pie recipes.
Pie #1: Tomato Pie Appetizer
This tomato pie recipe comes from Yummly.com and takes 75 minutes to prepare.
- 4 tomatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 10 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- 12 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 pie crust (prebaked 9-inch deep dish)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer.
- Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes or longer, if you don’t the pie will fall apart.
- Layer the tomato slices, basil and onion in pie shell.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- To serve: cut into slices and serve warm.
Note: The original recipe calls for combining 1 cup of mayonnaise with the 1 cup of grated cheese and spreading the mixture on the top of the tomatoes (instead of just sprinkling the cheese on top of the tomatoes). You can go ahead and do this, or you can keep it healthier by omitting the mayo.
This healthy Mexican pie recipe is the creation of Roni at Green Lite Bites and takes 45-60 minutes to prepare.
- ¼ cup (~22g) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) Corn Meal
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp (5g) Molasses
- 1 Egg White
- 2 oz milk
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Small sweet onion chopped
- 8 oz extra lean ground turkey (99% preferred)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 bell pepper chopped (I use ½ red and ½ green)
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced (keep seeds in if you want it hotter)
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
- 16 oz can of fat free refried beans
- ½ cup salsa
- 1oz fancy shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Non-stick cooking spray
The directions for this recipe are a bit more detailed, so hit up the post at Green Lite Bites for the info on how to combine all of these ingredients into one killer, tasty, and healthy Mexican pie!
Pie #3: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Dessert
Everyone thinks about dessert when they hear the word pie. This vegan cookie pie recipe is one of the most popular recipes we’ve ever posted here at Eco-Snobbery Sucks and takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or your choice)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- shredded coconut to taste
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- (and whatever else you need in there to get your fix)
Head over to my friend Derek Markham’s blog, Natural Papa, for the easy prep and cooking instructions.
Pie #.14: Pumpkin Pie Bites After-Dessert Treat
If you’re like me and have more than one sweet tooth to satisfy, these cute little pumpkin pie bites may just fit the bill. They take about 30 minutes to prepare.
- 2 refrigerated ready-to roll pie crusts
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup chocolate morsels
- vegetable oil
- re-sealable plastic bags
Head on over to Bakerella to see the full prep, baking, and decoration instructions.
What are some of your favorite pies?